Friday, April 19, 2013

For Emergency Use Only?

After reading John's blog post about cell phone use in classrooms and being that it has only been a few days since the horrific Boston Marathon incident, I thought I'd give my two cents. Yes, cell phones, especially smartphones, are a huge distraction in the classroom. With the endless amount of apps and games people can download, and not forgetting the sneakier way of cheating on an exam, students think they don't have to pay attention in class. I admit, I use my iPhone in class but mainly because I want to look up words using my dictionary app. So as a teacher, how would I enforce the "no cell phone" policy? Should I or shouldn't I? I feel that students should be allowed to carry their cell phones in school but only for break time and emergency uses only.

Many of the Boston Marathon runners were parents and had children in schools during the time of the run. With today's quick and easy access to statewide, international and worldwide news, students heard the horrific news within minutes. Wouldn't those children want to call their parents and check up on them? Yes, this may make things tense and cause chaos within the classroom if they do but same goes if they do not call. They would not be able to concentrate in their studies because of not being able to contact their parents. So, what do we teachers do? I think it all depends on the teacher and the school policy. On an end note, keep your classroom environment peaceful and calm at all times, especially at times like these.

2 comments:

  1. The other thing we need to think about is how do we address these tragedies in class? Children may be directly affected by them and what do we do as teachers to ensure a peaceful and calm environment like you have suggested. I do agree with you that cellphones in the classroom may ease the tension for children if they can get in contact with anyone affected by the tragedies right away. In my young adult literature class, we spoke about using school shootings as teachable moments about bullying in order to create awareness. At the NJCTE, which I saw you also attended, one of the workshops spoke about how students are exposed to so many horrible things at a young age that we need to remember to show them that the world is beautiful as well. What I have learned from reading young adult literature is that dystopias always have a "hopeful" ending because children need to see a bright side and not lose hope during hard times. That is our place as a teacher, to inspire students to see the "silver lining," which you mention in your other blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great point Abeer. Events like Boston and Newtown change my opinion about cell phones in class. They are great tools as emergency resources that could benefit a child's safety in school. It is sad to think that we have come to this but we must be prepared to deal with it if it occurs. On that note, the schools do need to find effective ways to deal with such events and provide the students with safe measures.

    ReplyDelete