Thursday, April 4, 2013

DIVE into your IMAGINATION! Pt 2

Earlier today, I wanted to play a music video on YouTube when (of course) a commercial came on. There was a young boy, with his headset on talking about some kind of monster. Now normally, I'd overlook a commercial about monsters but this time I didn't because I noticed there was a computer in front of the kid and words were appearing on a blank word document. I was automatically intrigued, and it only took 30+ seconds to do so! The commercial was about a software called Dragon Naturally Speaking (one technology my group member Vince listed. Hooray Vince!) So I decided to look into it a little more. Simply put, you talk, it types! 

This can be very beneficial and convenient in a classroom, at home or even a school library. Teachers can brainstorm lesson plans, put ideas together write emails to colleagues and even control the mouse. Students can voice to create and edit documents or even be creative and write short stories. Plus, it's not as expensive as I thought it would be. Schools can invest in a few of these, keep them in the school library or computer lab for students to access during their free time or after school time. Another plus! It not only integrates technology within a classroom and school setting but also incorporates and encourages literacy! Another thing! It's very beneficial to student with disabilities. It improves their core skills as well as motivating them to reach their goals. All in all, this software increases student productivity and increases their educational  independence. 

Sometimes, it's just easier to think out loud. What better activity than one that's brings your imagination to life? I just cannot figure out why it's called Dragon! Maybe because it encourage creative thinking and writing? Possibly. Anyways, I put the link of the commercial that caught my attention below, check it out fellow bloggers! 

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X62Trvdb4yM

1 comment:

  1. I love this program, but I really like your take on it. I always thought about it as a huge tool to those who are disabled in some sort that they are not able to use a computer and it is easier for them to talk out loud and have information written for them. You took it an entirely different way, and using it for all students! I think this is an awesome idea and an amazing way to incorporate it into the classroom. Sometime the mind and mouth work faster than our hands do!

    ReplyDelete