Saturday, May 4, 2013

Online Testing Problems


To what extent should we as educators integrate technology in the classroom? In the article entitled, "States' Online Testing Problems Raise Common-Core Concerns" by Michelle Davis from Education Week, illustrates the difficulties and disruptions of testing. Davis says, Thousands of students experienced slow loading times of test questions, students were closed out of testing in mid-answer, and some were unable to log in to the tests. Hundreds, if not thousands, of tests may be invalidated." Students were already nervous to begin with when taking high-stakes tests and these disruptions did not help settle and calm their nerves. Instead, they added more panic and apprehension. A teacher from an Oklahoma City school says that students were in tears, which is heartbreaking to watch. Disruptions reached a point where the system failed and crashed. These testing problems are unacceptable. In regards to the Common-Core, implementation of technology in the classroom, especially for assessments is encouraged because it prepares students for college and the outside world. In my opinion, things like this always happen when testing and experimenting with a new instrument or new instruction. Despite the failures and problems that have been occurring, the advantages remain and will continue to remain. Now, there just needs to be a solution so students can continue to take online tests. These problems may have set the educational systems in these districts back a bit, but all they can do now is move on and increase the outcomes of integrating technology. I have provided the link to the article below and recommend you all to read it.

1 comment:

  1. That is messed up! Can you imagine, taking a final in one of your classes, stressing out on finishing before the timer hits zero, writing this kick ass response to the essay question, and having the program crash. That's terrible! Whoever thinks online testing is a good idea, needs to sit down on a very uncomfortable piece of furniture. I'm okay with online classes, for the most part, or even online research projects and posts and everything in between. But testing? Finals? Mid-terms? The ones that matter most in terms grade-wise on the syllabus, those are the ones that need to be dealt with in a way where the amount of screw-up on the school's part is kept on the lowest part of minimality. I just tried to put myself in the shoes of one of those students and I can't stomach it. The article makes me mad. All I can say is that if a teacher told me that I needed to take a test online that may or may not time out while I'm doing those critical response questions for a class I busted my cinnamon buns over for an entire semester, I might just say no. No, I will not. Give me a physical test, a pen and a paper and the reassurance that all of my hard work will not turn to shambles in a matter of seconds and I'll be as right as rain. Otherwise, I'll just go on a, wait for it Abeer, an 'Educational Revolution', OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. lol, your blog post was, in the simplest of times, 'aight'.

    ReplyDelete